to Booneville two days a week and took us to the country. We were released to come home on the 17th day of May and arrived home on the morning of the 20th. Luella, Ruth, Stella, Carma, Beatrice and Clair met as at Echo.
        We made some very dear friends while we were away. Brother Dean lost his life in a train wreck and we arrived home the day he was buried. Sister Lucy Jones, our Relief Society President , down there, passed away April 18, 1945 and was buried April 19th in the Chapel cemetery. I wrote and got permission to do her work in the Temple although her husband wasn’t a member of the church, he gave his consent and Eva and I went to Salt Lake and I did her work for her.
        When Harold, Van and Deloy were young, we left them in Strawberry very much in the summer time to look after the cattle. We went almost every week to see how they were and to take food to them. I baked very much to help them out.
        We let Harold and Van go to Provo one year to High School and they boarded themselves. They received many testimonies.
        Our family learned to love Strawberry and they and ourselves have had many friends come out there. When Grace was only a month or so old I was put in Counselor in the Relief Society. Our neighbor girls took care of Grace so I could go. Mrs. Wright said if I would take the work, the girls could help me with Grace.
        I was a teacher in Sunday School and Mutual most of my married life till I moved to Woodland, I was Relief Society Teacher; I enjoyed my work very much. I have had some wonderful neighbors. I have taught in Mutual in Woodland and have been a teacher here many years. I was president of Primary for some time and Eva Director three years, a member of the Genealogy Committee.
        Being short of help, I have gone to Strawberry most of the last three summers to stay with Hyrum. The girls and children come out there and we ride horses and travel to the tops of the mountains. Van, Omni and Clair have their homes at Roosevelt and Ioka now.

This is the end of Sarah’s story.

        It was in the fall of 1943 during the time of the Second World War when the younger missionaries of the church were continually being released in the mission field and only the older people being sent on missions, that Sarah and I had a desire to go on a six month mission. I was then a counselor to Brother Joseph Andrus in the Presidency of the High Priests Quorum of the South Summit Stake. Sarah was chairman of the Ward Genealogical Committee and Sunday School Teacher in parent’s class.
        We accordingly made our desires known to our Bishop and Stake President and it was not long before we received our call through President George Albert Smith. We spent the better part of two weeks in the mission home receiving instructions preparatory to our leaving.
        We were sent to the office of Elder Charles A. Callis for further instructions and to receive our appointment which was to the Southern States Mission.
        It was in the Southern States Mission where President Callis had spent so much of his life, and we, knowing that Brother Callis loved the Saints in the Southern States, felt it an honor and privilege to be sent to that mission.
        I remember we had to have satisfactory health certificates. That was one thing that worried us. We knew that I had low blood pressure and Sarah had high blood pressure.
        We went to Dr. Wherritt for our physical examination and certificates. He wrote satisfactory in the space for the blood pressure test for he knew we would be denied the privilege of going if he reported exactly the condition of our blood pressure.
        It was after we returned from our mission that Dr. Wherritt asked us if we knew, at the time, how high was Sarah's blood pressure and how low mine was. He told us. When Brother Callis saw the report of Dr. Wherritt he said, "We cannot accept that report." He then sent us to the Church Physician, Dr. Cannon, as I remember, for examination. There must have been a great change in our blood pressure condition in order to be allowed to go on that mission, and we felt that the Lord was watching over us. As I remember, it was on Christmas Day, 1943, that everyone of our children and grand children together with son-in-laws and daughter-in-laws met at our home for a dinner and a family group picture. The total number of that group was 43. That number included 24 grandchildren. Since that time, to that number has been added six grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.
        We were set apart for our mission by Elder (Apostle) Widtsoe. I remember, that after he had given to us our missionary blessings and instructions, he turned to me and said, "Brother Winterton, you know what is troubling you." I answered, "Yes." Then he said, "You are going to be better." It was January 19, 1944, when we boarded the train in company with eight other missionaries, including Brother and Sister Charles Gilbert of Preston, Idaho; Brother and Sister Matthew of Liberty, Utah; Brother and Sister Chard Joseph S. Bailey of Rupert, Idaho, and one lady missionary. We traveled over the D & RGW route via Chicago and landed at Atlanta, Georgia the night of January 22, 1944.
        All that day as cur train rolled along, we passed through rolling hills, covered with timber with openings where we could see scattered homes, here and there small villages, etc. I thought of the stories I had heard of missionary life in the Southern States. The thoughts of my Brother Moroni were continually upon my mind. I could not help but feel that his spirit was accompanying me and I wondered if we would meet any of his friends.
        It was at Sunday School the next morning that we met Elder Homer Yarn and his brother, whom my brother Moroni had baptized in the year 1905. We also met a lady who said she still kept Moroni's picture on her piano. Thirty nine years has elapsed, so Brother Yarn said, "Since your brother Moroni had baptized four little freckle faced barefoot boys." He being one of them.
        He said he often wondered if Elder Winterton ever wondered what had become of those four boys. Both of the little Yarn boys have been wonderful Church workers. At that time, Brother Homer Yarn was the Supervisor of all the home missionary work in the Southern States Mission. (He afterwards became the 1st Counselor to the President of the Southern States Mission.)
        I learned that Brother Yarn had lived for some time in Provo and had worked for the Taylor Furniture Company. I then said to him, "Brother Yarn, what was your reaction when you went to Utah and met the men whom you had known as Mormon Missionaries. Those who had spent many nights in your widow mother's home. Those whom you had loved to go around with and help to hold meetings, etc.?" He said, "It was the hardest time in my life. It was then I came nearest to apostasy, but when I got to thinking, I said to myself, why blame the church for the weakness of men? The Gospel has not changed, but some people cannot be strong enough to live the Gospel."
        Sarah and I received our appointment to go to Booneville, Mississippi. I to preside over the Booneville Branch and Sarah to be President of the Relief Society. I here copy from my diary the following:

        Leave Atlanta 7:25 A.M.
        Arrive at Tupelo 5:25 P.M.
        Leave Tupelo at 10:15 P.M.
        Arrive at Booneville 11:30 P.M.
        Elder Peterson, the District President to meet us.
        Elder Peterson not there to meet us.

        We started off through the darkness and found our way to a hotel where we stayed that night. In the morning we learned by inquiry that there was a "Mormon" church out in the country about five miles. We hired a taxi to drive us out to where the church was located.
        Close by the church we found the home of Sister Vester Fugitt who directed us the way to the home of Brother and Sister Lee Floyd and family. We found them to be wonderful people. That night Elder Peterson and Rawlings arrived on the scene.
        We were then out in the neighborhood of where the Saints lived, but five miles from Booneville where we may be able to rent an apartment. Elder Peterson and Rawlings took us back to Booneville. After we got located at Booneville, how were we going to go out to the church about twice a week to meet with the saints?
        We spent most of one day trying to locate an apartment we could rent. There were vacant apartments but none would rent to us as we were "Mormons".
        Finally, we went back to Mrs. Beanland’s home. She had

Back   Table Of Contents   Next