left to greet her. I think she was pleased when Father asked her to go with him to Charleston.
        However, let us try to imagine Father’s feelings on that first day’s trip to Charleston. Would the girls be discouraged when they found that he had no comforts or conveniences to offer them? They would be very tired after a long day’s trip. They arrived at their destination about ten o’clock at night. No fire, no light to greet them.
        Father immediately started out to find his brother, John who would most likely be the Noakes home, a distance of about one mile. At the Noakes home, the boys borrowed a few tools and Geo. W. Noakes accompanied the boys to the old dirt roof house where the girls were waiting for them. That night, before going to bed, the boys built a bedstead out of quaking asp poles so the girls would not have to sleep on the damp ground. In the morning, they cooked breakfast on the campfire outside. They had no stove. It is easy to believe that my mother soon fell in love with my father, and even then figured in her own mind how she would like help to change his conditions and help to make a happy home. It is also easy to understand how Uncle John Winterton and Aunt Ann fell in love and married George W. and Emma Noakes. It is quite reasonable to believe that the girls visited at the Noakes home often and I am sure they would be made welcome by Sister Noakes. She was a wonderfull Woman. When October time came around, Brother and sister Noakes took Mother and Aunt Ann to Salt Lake City so they could attend the Semi’ Annual Conference of the Church.
        From the life story of my father, written by Sister Sarah and Brother Moroni, I copy the Following, "I made another trip to the city, met the girls: Nellie and Ann, and they decided to go back to Charleston with me." (This was the girls’ second trip.) "While going through Parley’s Canyon, I proposed to Nellie. I said, " ’If I would have you, would you have me?’ She answered, ‘Yes.’ I said, ‘We will consider we are engaged.’ " I continued hauling coal to Salt Lake City. I bought a little new step stove for $30.00, which was greatly appreciated." (This little stove is still in the upstairs of the last new home built for Mother. This date March 3, 1955.) "I continued to haul coal until Christmas, then I returned home. Nellie went to live with William and Hannah Bagley where she worked until we were Married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah on February 21, 1870. Nellie Widdison and Hannah Bagley made for William a suit of clothes. The first good clothes he had worn since Leaving England. While I was hauling coal in the fall of 1869, my brother John rented the farm owned by John Eldridge and build a little house on this place for Mr. Eldridge." (I remember the vacated old house across the road West of the school house and the N.C. Murdock home.) "After we were married we went to live in Mr. Eldredge’s house with two other families. We lived there about a month or six weeks, when we became dissatisfied and Nellie refused to live there longer. John Pollard and Emanual Richmond helped me build a dirt roof shed by Pollard’s house between them and Finity Daybell’s where Grandpa Price’s house now stands. During this time, Pollard, Bancroft, Emenual Richmond and I became partners in homesteading the Richmond homestead. During the summer, Pollard and I got logs out of Boomer in Daniels Canyon. We built us each a one room house. On December 10, 1870, our oldest child, Sarah, was born. My little log room was built about where Frank Webster’s barn stands. Later it was moved on what is well known as the Baker Lots. I would judge about east of the railroad track. It faced the east and had a

Back   Table Of Contents   Next