small window in the west and a little homemade door. I got a man named Dave Love to make (by hand with a tool they called a draw knife) enough shingles to cover the roof. This was the first shingled roof house in Charleston. Here my oldest son, Will, was born. Soon after that I purchased the homestead right of John Jordan. My wife, Nellie, wasn’t very anxious to move to the ranch as it seemed so far away. I told her I felt as though I should go. She could stay where she wanted to. She said, ‘If you are going to be up there all the time, I’ll go with you.’ I now moved my family in a little dirt roof house built by Dave Blizzard. It was situated on the land later homesteaded by Isaac N. Brown. The little room stood about where Isaac Brown later built his barn. I started to clear some land as every acre was covered with sagebrush. At my convenience, I built a log room on my homestead. I finished the room and we moved in. My wife was a willing worker and our home was clean and homelike. I later moved the long room from the ground in town to my homestead, making two rooms for us. Our first child to be born in this home was my son, John Joseph." It is very interesting to read the rest of Father’s story as he dictated it.
        Only a brief account of the stories of early day life in Charleston have been written and for that reason I want to leave on record some things that my parents told me and some other things that I speak of by personal knowledge.
Very few, if any, could tell more than Father about the early days of Charleston, but it was at home by the fireside where he talked most freely. In the winter time, father would be heard to say, "Children, which of you wants to go to the cellar and get a pan of apples and a jug of sweet cider?" It was easy to get volunteers. Father often said, " An apple a day keeps the doctor away." And so in the long winter evenings we could sit and eat apples and prepare our school lessons, but also keep our ears open to the conversation of Father and Mother. We learned that it was in the fall of 1865 that Father landed at Decker Ranch, the farm later owned by the Allen Brothers on the west side of the river. Father had spent several days trying to find work. He had been in his travels as far as Wanship, in Summit County. When he found his Brother John at the Isaac Decker Ranch and was offered his board for the winter if he would stay there and work, he felt it would be best for him to accept the offer. That was the beginning of Father’s experience with sheep and cattle. In the spring of 1866 when the Indians were causing the people of Utah so much trouble, it being the time of the Blackhawk War, the people of the valley were instructed to move into the designated forts. The people of Midway moved close together at the place they figured was midway between the upper and the lower settlements, thus the name Midway. The rest of the people of the whole valley and Wallsburg were instructed to move to the fort at Heber. Isaac Decker moved his families consisting of four wives and children, to Heber. He moved his cattle and sheep also, and Father herded them on the foot hills north of Heber, but they had been there only about a week when people complained about the Decker cattle and sheep taking so much of the feed, and so, to keep down trouble, Uncle John Winterton was told by Isaac Decker to help my father, William Winterton, move the sheep and cattle back tot he Decker ranch. My father was then left alone to take care of the sheep and cattle.
        This was at the time when nobody was considered safe living alone outside of the forts of Midway and Heber. That experience is sufficient to show that William Winterton was brave and very dependable to duty and true to his employer.
        From the book entitled, Under Wasatch Skies on page 80, which comes under

Back   Table Of Contents   Next