quite often on Sundays. Sometimes we would go in swimming together. If the Midway boys came down while the other friends were there it might spell trouble. Some of the boys that visited with us were older and had learned to smoke. They were generally good to us and rolled the smokes for us. We tried to roll some ourselves, but do you know, it takes experience to roll a cigarette properly. Well, we got along quite nicely until one morning when Brother Ralph approached me. "Hyrum," said he, "I am going to throw away my tobacco."
        "What for?" said I.
        Said he, "Mother came to me last night and plead with me to quite using tobacco."
        Then I remembered the teaching and example of our mother. Then I said, "I am going to throw my tobacco away also." Since that time neither of us has ever used tobacco. I have always thought it was through the influence of that dear mother, though we could not see her that we quit the use of tobacco.
        Temptations were many. Here again I thank the Lord for a wonderful mother who taught me to pray. Often, when I was out and hunting for horses and cattle, I would kneel and ask the Lord to help me find them. When my pet pony would get sick, as he often did, I did not forget to pray.
        Now I ask, "Do you think I could continue to pray with faith, if my prayers were never answered?" I had faith that the Lord would grant my request if it was right that I should have the thing I asked for. The words of Alma 34:18-24 have always been a comfort and a guide to my life. "Yea, cry unto him for mercy for he is mighty to save. Yea, humble yourselves and continue in prayer unto Him. Cry unto Him when ye are in your fields. Yea, over all your flocks. Cry unto Him in your houses. Yea, over all your household, both morning, noonday and evening."


        In the year 1892, a wonderful stepmother came into our home. No one could have a better and kinder step-mother than I had. It all came about as I will here explain.
        During the dark days of polygamy practice, there came to our valley a Mr. John W. Price, traveling under the assumed name of John Jones. He, with one wife and family, was seeking a place of refuge. He was trying to hide from the United States marshalls. He went to father’s home and told his story. Father succeeded in securing the old Eli Gordon home, just above the Charleston Upper Canal, for them to live in. The house was about one half mile from our home. A strong friendship grew up between those two men and their families. In the course of time, Brother Price moved back to his own home in Mill Creek, and our family always had a place to stay while in Salt Lake Valley.
        One day Brother Price said to father. "William, I would like you to meet a young woman. She is a good girl 28 years of age. She has a good mother, also brothers and sisters. They are all fine people. The mother would like the children to marry, but the father is strongly opposed to them marrying at the present time. The father would not allow you to their home but I think I can persuade the girl to steal away and come over to my place to meet you. Her mother will help me in making such

Back   Table Of Contents   Next