At that time, the Charleston Creamery was buying milk. We built more cow pastures and started milking more cows which came to be one of our better sources of revenue. At that time, milk was being sold to the Charleston Creamery from Midway, Heber, Center, Daniel and Wallsburg. We increased the amount of production of hay and grain on father’s farm.
        In January 1898, I commenced school at the Brigham Young Academy, and took a commercial course in Commercial Arithmetic and Bookkeeping. In religion class, we studied Church History and Book of Mormon.
        That winter, father and Brother Will hauled sand rocks from the Crook Rock Quarry in Lake Creek for the foundation of the new home to be built. Brick was purchased from the Van Wagoner brick yard which was located on the bench back of Midway. The next summer the house was nearly completed. Sye Bullock and Harry Bircumshaw layed the brick. Cleggs from Heber layed the foundation. Elisha Webster was the carpenter. The above named did most of the work. About all the Winterton boys had to do was to haul the brick and sand, to mix the brick mortar, and carry the brick and mud to the ones on top doing the work.
        That fall I helped Parley Edwards and George Bagley to shock and haul grain. Then I went to help Uncle Will Widdison at the Charleston saw mill. There also I had quite a snap. All I had to do was take from the saw the lumber and the slabs and place them in neat piles and to help roll the logs on the saw carriage. Uncle Will did all the hard work. While I was working at the mill yard one afternoon, little Frank Daybell came running towards me. He said Roy North had drowned in the river down at the forks, below the main road. He was much excited and nearly out of breath. I did not wait for more explanation but hurried to the scene. I located him at the bottom in a hole about nine or ten feet deep. I had him nearly to the edge of the water when other help arrived. He was dead before I could reach him.
        February 15, 1899, my brother Will and Agnes Webster were married. They boarded the train at Park City as it pulled out for Salt Lake City. My job was to drive the team back from Park City and again return to Park City with the team and sleigh the day they returned there after their marriage. On each trip we loaded the sleigh with oats to sell.


        In the spring of 1899, I took father’s best team, Pat and Barney and worked on the Railroad grade being built in Provo Canyon. I worked about one week just opposite where the wagon bridge crosses the river a short way below Bridal Veil Falls. I next worked near the

Back   Table Of Contents   Next