a partnership arrangement. According to the percentage of cattle we each owned, we furnished feed on the same percentage basis.
        It was in the year 1909 that we purchased some Hereford cattle from John E. Dooley, the owner of Antelope Island. In June of 1909, J.M. Ritchie, Jamos Wright and Brother Moroni went to that Island to select some bulls and while there they made arrangements for us to select about 150 head of cows to be delivered in October. As I remember, my brothers and I purchased about sixty head of that number. I helped to gather and select the cattle. As I remember, I was over on the Island about one week. At the edge of the lake the cattle were loaded in a barge which was pulled by a tug boat. The tug pulled the barge as near as possible to the shore on the Farmington side; then the cattle were turned out of the barge and made to swim to shore. Small row boats were used to turn the cattle if they tried to swim in the wrong direction. We were three days driving the cattle to Charleston after we left Farmington. In driving those cattle through Salt Lake City we traveled on second West Street, as I remember, in order to avoid the heavy traffic on Main Street. We went through Murray on Main Street and from there followed the main highway all the way. In those days we did not have much trouble with automobiles.


        The year 1910 was the first year for those white faced cattle on the mountain range. One day Moroni and I decided to ride the range to see how the cows and calves were doing. Nearly every cow we had turned out with a calf. On our inspection tour we learned that nearly one half of the cows were not being nursed. We knew something was wrong.
        We went home for more food and a pack horse. J.M. Casper went with us on the return trip. We went via Daniels Canyon and traveled the main ridge between Wallsburg and Daniels Canyon to avoid going through Wallsburg. We camped over night in the mouth of Second Set Canyon.
        The next day, while viewing with spy glasses from a high point, I could see two men leading their horses off Strawberry Peak and traveling towards Glen Cabin Springs. We hurriedly saddled our horses and loaded our pack horse and headed for the same country where many of our cattle would be ranging. J.N. Casper advised it was not wise for us to abruptly ride in where men might be killing calves. We met many of the cattle leaving the bed ground as if they had been scared. We decided to ride down the canyon to where we thought we could know if anyone went down through the canyon. No one passed us so on our way down through the upper part of Wallsburg, we inquired if they knew who might be riding in the hills at that time. We learned nothing by inquiry.
        One day as I was stacking grain, George Edwards rode up on his horse to where I was. Then he said to me, "Hyrum, don’t

Back   Table Of Contents   Next