November found me at Mr. Mortimers ranch and I saw his $150.00 heifers. They did not quite please me. Then Mr. Mortimer told Mr. Pchisner, his son-in-law to show me the heifers they were feeding to show at Denver.
        Those heifers pleased me but Mr. Mortimer asked me $225.00 per head for them. Said I, "Mr. Mortimer, you offered to sell me heifers for $150.00, better than the heifers shown at Utah State Fair." To the last remark he replied, "When I was in Utah, I felt the need of some missionary work being done in that state in cattle improvement. So if you want these best heifers I will deliver them to you at Denver after the Denver show for $200.00 per head. You can visit as many herds as you please while you are visiting around. If you make up your mind to buy my heifers, you can send me a small payment on them so I will know you want them."
        After visiting several herds in Nebraska and Missouri, I returned home and sent some money to Mr. Mortimer.
        Brother Moroni went to Denver in January and received the heifers and the Grand Champion ribbons and also paid to Herbert Chandler $1000.00 for Debonair 61st. At that show Herbert Chandler had the Grand Champion Load of Bulls.
        In all, including later shipments, we bought from Thos. Mortimer about 75 head of heifers. He was a good friend of the Winterton boys; but few heifers did we ever buy from other people.
        In the year 1916 the cattle and sheep men of Wasatch County leased from the Government Reclamation Service, the Strawberry Valley. At that time, J.M. Ritchie and we Winterton boys were allotted all the area west of the reservoir and south of Mud Creek. So, we got busy and soon had a fence around the area that did not border on the water. Moroni, Fred and I were allowed to graze in the inclosure 100 head and Ritchie was allowed in the inclosure with 65 head.
        John C. Whiting had been to Baker, Oregon on two different trips and purchased from Herbert Chandler about 30 head of heifers. When we learned the opportunity for good grazing on the forest west of our reclamation pasture was open, we did not rest until we had persuaded the Forest Supervisor, A.W. Jensen, to transfer part of our forest permit on the Wallsburg Range to Mud Creek. Thus came to an end our ranging cattle on the Wallsburg and Daniel Range.
        The extra cattle permit that was not transferred we sold to Earl Stringfellow and Cannon.
        As time went on and John C. Whiting and my brothers, Moroni and Fred, preferred to quit running cattle on the range, my sons and I took over their cattle and forest permit.
        This was after John C. Whiting and I had traded ranches. He moved his family to my home in Charleston and I moved my family to his ranch at the lower end of the valley where the Wallsburg Creek enters the Provo River.
        After taking over all of the Whiting cattle and the cattle belonging to Moroni and Fred, then the immediate depression in the price of cattle (after the drouth of 1922)

Back   Table Of Contents   Next