would have come with him had she received a little help and encouragement. What would we think of the Captain of a ship who would abandon his ship in time of peril and take to the life boat and thus leave the passengers to perish. Let me ask: was he not the head of the house? Should he not have been interested, most of all in his families welfare? Did he want salvation and forget family ties? I am still left to wonder. Yes, I am aware of prophecy, the predictions of both ancient and modern prophets which speak of the gathering of Israel. I remember and have often quoted Jeremiah Third Chapter Fourth Verse, "Turn, O backsliding children, Saith the Lord; for I am married unto you; and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and bring you to Zion." This is only one of many promises of the Lord concerning Israel. I am sure that in order to bring about that great gathering and the establishment of Zion in the "Tops of the Mountains," it meant sacrifice, trials, hardships, heartaches and tears. And still I am glad that my parents came to this good land which for a long time was hidden from the gentile nations and preserved until our day, to be a place of refuge and a gathering place for those who love the Lord and serve Him. I will not complain; it is God’s plan.
        I need only be brief in telling of the journey across the plains of the father and the two boys, John and William, because it is told in Father’s own words elsewhere.
        The father, William Hubbard Winterton, stayed with the main Mormon train which was under the leadership of John R. Murdock as captain of the company and Abram Hatch as first assistant. When this company of emigrants reached the Black Hills on the Sweetwater, they overtook Captain Creighton’s train which was held up because some of the drivers had left them and Captain Creighton asked for help. Captain Creighton was freighting for Wells Fargo & Company. That was when father and the two sons came to the parting of the ways. Grandfather continued on with the Mormon train and arrived in Salt Lake City during the time of the October Conference of the L.D.S. Church.
        Grandfather, soon after the time of his arrival in the city, obtained the job of Toll Gate keeper in Parley’s Canyon. A road that was passable with wagons had been built, so the travelers no longer had to go through Emigration Canyon. But the canyon still needed repairs and the people who traveled the road must pay the bill: hence the necessity of a toll collector.
        It was necessary that John and William do something to earn their own living. They drifted on from place to place, finally to Utah County and Provo, and in 1865, they went up into Wasatch County where their homes were finally established.
        Grandfather Winterton never did see Wasatch County. I don’t know how long my grandfather lived in Parley’s Canyon, I do remember, however, that in the year 1883, my parents took the family to Salt Lake City. We all went except Sister Sarah. It was necessary that one stay at home to take care of the home and do the chores. Sarah was then not quite thirteen years old. She could be trusted to do the chores. There were the pigs and chickens to feed and about four cows to milk; their names, Muggins, Lill, Brock and Boss. Sarah was the only one that could successfully milk Muggins without having her kick over the bucket. She would kick very hard; at least I thought so and Sister Eliza and Brother Will appeared to be afraid of her, though they sometimes had to milk her.
        The high lights of the Salt Lake trip, as I remember, were as follows: When we were traveling down through Snyderville, Father said, "Keep your eyes open children, you may soon see a railroad train." Sure enough we saw it. What a wonderful sight it was; a steam engine, puffing along on wheels, and pulling several railroad cars. What a thrill it was to hear its whistle blow. Next, I remember being at Grandfather’s home. His wife we called Aunt Bessie. They treated us very nicely, but when Grandfather caught his children in the strawberry patch, we hardly knew what to do. Of course, he told us what to do, to get out of the berry patch. I do not think he even smiled. It may be that Brother Ralph, being only three years old may have been stepping on the vines. All I wanted was to eat the berries. We decided to not get into the berry patch any more, so he never had another chance to feed us strawberries. O that visit was the only time we ever saw Grandfather Winterton. He was the only grandparent either of us children ever saw.
        Then, I remember being down on Main Street. What a thrill that was. We could see men and boys riding high wheel bicycles, the front wheels higher than wagon wheels. I wondered how they could make them go straight and not tip over or run into the crowds on the streets. I was amazed at the crowds on the streets and everyone seemed to be in a hurry.
        One of the purposes of our trip to Salt Lake was to have our pictures taken. Little brother John had died and Mother has no picture by which to remember him.
        Mother had made nice dresses for the girls and pretty suits of clothes for the boys. How proud I was dressed in my pretty velvet trimmed suit with pretty brass buttons. Mother took special pains in combing and curling my hair. Then I stood by her side with my hand on her chair while our picture was taken. Yes, it is true. I was at her side, Moroni was on her knee. I was five years old. Moroni was a baby of about eleven months. I have sometimes wondered if I was Mother’s favorite child. I guess I only have felt that way because she was so good to me; so kind. I sometimes heard my mother say, ":Hyrum has never been a strong child like other children." She said she had been afraid she would never be able to raise me. Mother was so kind to me and I feel sure I loved her as much as any young child could love a mother. When she would say, "Hyrum has always been a good baby," it pleased me very much. No word from her lips escaped my ears, if could help it.
        On the way to Salt Lake City, I heard her say, "William. When we get to the city there is one thing I would like." "What is it Nellie?" said my father. She replied, "When we buy our dinner in the city, I would like some bread and cheese and a glass of beer. I do want a glass of beer." I felt that I was on Mother’s side. I did not think it would hurt just that once if she drank a glass of beer.
      The people of England were great lovers of beer, tea, and coffee, but when my mother joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints they were taught the Word of Wisdom and it is wonderful how well they obeyed that law. I have heard my mother say, " I crave tea and coffee, but I don’t want any of my children to ever see me drink it." I saw her drink that one glass of beer, but I feel sure I never did see her drink tea or coffee. In those early days it was not considered wrong to drink a glass of beer if you left strong liquor alone. My father was raised as was Mother, and they

Back   Table Of Contents   Next