the story of Wallsburg, we read, "The Indian War of 1866 forced the people to move to Heber, but when the danger proved less than anticipated, the Wallsburg settlers moved back to their homes in the fall of the same year." This same thing happened to a few families in Charleston such as the Isaac Decker family, William Bagley, and the Noakes family and perhaps some others that I have no account of. The fact still remains that during the summer of 1866 when the people of Wasatch County were having trouble with the Indians, William Winterton was the only person living in Charleston and at the time of his death, he had lived continuously in Charleston longer than any other person.
        When I think of Father as a young man, being left alone for months, and in danger of being attacked any time by Indians, I am left to wonder what his thoughts must have been. Father told us that one day as he was out around in the bushes with the sheep, all of a sudden three or four men, with hats off, rode rapidly into view. He thought they were Indians but he had no time to hide. He said it felt as if his hair stood straight up on his head. He was much relieved when they were white men and stopped only enough to inquire if he had seen any Indians passing that way driving a bunch of cattle. If the Indians had been aware of the whereabouts of the cattle and sheep Father were herding, it seems to me that that would have been a good place for the Indians to have picked up a nice bunch. They could have had plenty of mutton or even the whole herd. They could have even taken Father with them and escaped up through Wallsburg and over the mountain through Strawberry Valley. Many things could have happened. No wonder Father was glad when the Indian troubles were settled.
        Father thought a lot about his dear mother, sisters and brothers back in England, but if they wrote to him, how would he have known? Where would he have gone to get his letters? Heber or Provo was the nearest post office. In the spring of 1867, Father continued to herd sheep and later he and John C. Parcell together, took sheep to herd belonging to James Bean and John Turner of Provo, along with other sheep. Because the mail carrier, James Herbert, was the stepson of John C. Parcell, each time he came along, he would stop for his dinner and feed and rest his horse. Father said he made one or two trips each week. One day as my father, Wm. Winterton and John C. Parcell were discussing their mail problems with James Herbert, the mail carrier, he said to them, "If you boys would give me a name for this place, I could bring your mail to you." Father said, "We mentioned several names but decided Charleston was the name we liked best." That was in the year 1867. The post office was established at the old N.C. Murdock ranch with N.C. Murdock as postmaster. The old post office was below the main road and almost straight below where Harry Watson’s home was later built. N.C. Murdock later moved his store and post office up the valley about one mile to about the center of Charleston.
        This may be interesting also. It was Charles Decker and Faramour Little who tool the first mowing machine into Charleston. William Begley later purchased the machine. Prior to that time, they mowed their hay with a scythe. Father was the first to bring into the community a grain reaper. It was a mowing machine, but for cutting grain they put on a real attachment, similar to those on all grain binders, to pull the grain onto the table. Then it had a dropper behind the cutting bar. The dropper was worked by the man riding the machine so he could drop each time there was enough for a bundle. About three good men could bind the

Back   Table Of Contents   Next